India on Saturday said China’s “provocative behavior and unilateral attempts” to alter the status quo resulted in the Galwan valley incident.
“We reject such statements. Our position with regard to developments last year along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh has been clear and consistent. It was the provocative behavior and unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter status quo in contravention of all our bilateral agreements that resulted in serious disturbance of peace and tranquility. This has also impacted the bilateral relations,” Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said in a statement.
“As emphasized by EAM in his meeting with Chinese FM earlier this month, it is our expectation that the Chinese side will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols,” the MEA said.
The statement was issued by the External Affairs Ministry in response to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson’s comment that “Galwan valley incident took place because India violated all the treaties and agreements and encroached upon China’s territory illegally and crossed the line”.