China and India have made an effort to disengage along the Actual Line of Control, after agreeing in principle to withdraw from PP17A or ‘Gogra Post’ – a key patrol point in Eastern Ladakh, sources in the government said, The Indian Express reported.
This came during the 12th round of Corps Commander-level talks between the two countries which was held on Saturday, In a joint statement, the nations had said that ‘this round of meeting was constructive, which further enhanced mutual understanding’.
However, as per the report, China is ‘not inclined’ to disengage from PP15 or the Hot Springs area.
As per the official source, the movement is likely to begin in the coming couple of days, and the details of the disengagement are being discussed.
Following the Galwan Valley clash in June last year, PP17A and PP15 on the Indian side of the LAC were highly militarised with platoon-sized units stationed on the points, however, the forces have not had any violent engagements since.
According to sources, the disengagement at PP17A is likely to follow the process that was adopted for PP14 in the Galwan Valley and Pangong Tso where a time-frame was set for withdrawal, temporary structures were removed and a physical verification was done.