India on Wednesday told Beijing that any unilateral change in status quo along the line of Actual Control (LAC) is not acceptable and maintained that full restoration of peace and tranquility in border areas is essential for development of the bilateral ties.
External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar held a meeting with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in Dushanbe with a focus on resolving the outstanding issues along the LAC.
During the one-hour long meeting, the two leaders agreed that the next round of military dialogue should be convened at the earliest and its focus should be on discussing all the remaining issues to find a mutually acceptable solution.
“Highlighted that unilateral change of status quo is not acceptable. Full restoration and maintenance of peace and tranquility in border areas is essential for development of our ties. Agreed on convening an early meeting of the Senior Military Commanders,” Jaishankar tweeted soon after the meeting.
Later the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement that the two leaders had a detailed exchange of views on the current situation along the LAC and also on other issues related to the overall India-China relations.
During the meeting, Jaishankar pointed out to Yi that the successful disengagement in the Pangong Lake area earlier this year had created conditions for resolving the remaining issues. “It was expected that the Chinese side would work with us towards this objective. EAM noted however that the situation in remaining areas is still unresolved,” the MEA said.
India maintained that a prolongation of the existing situation was visibly impacting the relationship in a negative manner. Jaishankar emphasized that maintenance of peace and tranquility in the border areas has been the foundation for the development of ties since 1988.
It was, therefore, in mutual interest that the two sides work towards early resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh, while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols, Jaishankar told his Chinese counterpart.
According to the MEA statement, the two ministers agreed that the next round of meeting of senior military commanders should be convened at the earliest.
“There was also an understanding that both sides will continue to ensure stability on the ground and neither side will take any unilateral action that could increase tension,” said the MEA statement.