Explosions at IAF station a ‘terror attack’, drones operated from close range: J&K police chief

While officials were investigating the blasts, Additional Director General Police (ADG) Jammu, Mukesh Singh told reporters that the police have arrested a militant near a mall in the jurisdiction of the Trikuta Nagar police station from whose possession an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) weighing 5 kgs has been recovered.

IAF chief Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria, who is in Bangladesh on an official visit since Saturday, spoke over telephone to the two IAF personnel who suffered minor injuries in the drone explosions. The two soldiers are under observation and are doing fine, IAF officials said.

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, who is on a three-day visit to Ladakh, also dialled up vice IAF chief Marshal HS Arora. A high-level IAF team including Air Force Vice Chief Air Marshal Arora and Western Air commander V.R. Chaudhary reached Jammu.

The J&K Police have lodged an FIR under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) in the case.

Jammu airport is a civil airport with the runway and the ATC (air traffic control) under the IAF. Jammu Airport director Pravat Ranjan Beuria told PTI that there was no disruption in flight operations due to the explosions. “Flights to and from Jammu airport are operating as per schedule,” he said.

Two explosions, within a gap of five minutes, rocked the high-security technical area of Jammu airport in the early hours of Sunday, officials said. “There were reports of an explosion inside Air Force Station Jammu. There is no injury to any personnel or any damage to any equipment. The investigation is on and further details are awaited,” a defence spokesperson said.

Security was stepped up, particularly in border districts of Pathankot and Gurdaspur, including near Indian Air Force base in Pathankot that saw the terror attack in January 2016, as well as nearby Mamoon Cantonment of the Indian Army.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.