A banner erected by the Indian Army near Pangong Tso lake near the India China border in Ladakh.& |  Photo Credit: AP
- This event single-handedly worsened India-China relations to an all-time low, triggering major diplomatic, economic and military repercussions between the Asian giants
- Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat earlier this week said that the Chinese deployment along the Indian border has undergone a shift after the recent incidents along the LAC
New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday did not mince words to express its displeasure over China’s belligerent misadventures along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) last year around the same time, accusing the northern neighbour of disturbing peace in border areas and violating bilateral pacts.
“Last year’s Chinese actions were in violation of bilateral pacts that require two sides to respect LAC, keep troops at minimal level. Amassing of large number of troops along border areas, trying to unilaterally change status quo along LAC disturbed peace. It is well recognised that Chinese actions last year have seriously disturbed peace and tranquillity in border areas,” MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said on Thursday.
As many as 20 Indian soldiers were martyred defending India’s sovereignty on June 15 last year after Chinese troops clashed with our troops in a fierce combat in Ladakh’s Galwan Valley along the LAC.
This event single-handedly worsened India-China relations to an all-time low, triggering major diplomatic, economic and military repercussions between the Asian giants.
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat earlier this week said that the Chinese deployment along the Indian border has undergone a shift after the recent incidents along the LAC, adding that peace along the borders is good for both countries.
“They (China) realised that they need to be better trained and better prepared… Their soldiers mainly come from civilian streets. They are enlisted for a short duration. They don’t have much experience of fighting in these kinds of areas and operating in this kind of terrain,” CDS Rawat told news agency ANI on Tuesday.
MEA on Covid-19…
The External Affairs Ministry said it is “closely following the developments regarding efforts by Bharat Biotech to obtain Emergency Use Listing authorization from World Health Organisation”.
“We would hope as the Covid-19 situation continues to improve in our country other countries would take steps to normalise travel with India. We have seen some initial steps in this regard, the government will continue to prioritise this issue,” Bagchi added.
On SCO NSA meet…
The MEA said that the meeting of the NSAs at the SCO discussed issues of international and regional security, countering terrorism, extremism and radicalism, countering illicit trafficking of drugs and also the preparations for SCO Summit of Heads of State which is to take place in Dushanbe, probably in September this year.
“An outcome document, in the nature of a protocol, was adopted after the NSA level meeting. I understand that as per practice, the SCO Secretariat will make public this document on its website sometime later,” the MEA spokesperson said on the SCO NSAs’ meet in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
In other news…
The MEA said that India supports all peace initiatives and has a long-term commitment to the development and reconstruction of Afghanistan. In this context, we remain in touch with various stakeholders including regional countries.
Furthermore, the country is “closely monitoring recent developments regarding Iran and is in conversations with other countries”.
“We’ll continue to look at this closely. I don’t have any immediate response on that. We’ve seen some positive sentiments and we’ll continue to see how it progresses. I would also highlight the congratulatory messages from our leadership to the newly elected Iranian President,” Bagchi said the new President in Iran, India-Iran ties and if India discussed with US the sanctions on Iran.
Commenting on the arrest of an Indian in Australia, the MEA spokesperson said that the matter is sub-judicial in Australia at present.
“I know that consular access to Vishal Jood was granted on June 17 and our High Commission is in touch with Australian authorities. We’ll certainly keep you informed about further developments in this matter,” he added.